What is personal injury protection insurance?
Personal Injury Protect insurance (also known as “PIP”), covers the medical expenses related to injuries sustained in a car accident. It is also known as no-fault insurance. This is because it pays for your medical bills no matter who was at fault. This insurance covers both injured policyholders and passengers, even if they do not have health insurance. PIP one of two coverages required in Florida. Property damage is the other requirement.
Do I have personal injury protection insurance on my car insurance?
In Florida, all owners of motor vehicles must have PIP coverage. This means that if you are involved in a car accident, you have PIP.
What does personal injury protection insurance cover?
You are required to obtain treatment within 14 days of the accident. If you do this, 80% of the reasonable and customary cost will be paid by PIP. There is a cap of $10,000.00. You will be responsible for the other 20% of the coverage.
Unfortunately, the legislature passed a law a couple of years back that required treatment within 14 days of the accident to receive PIP benefits. Because of this, if you do not receive treatment within 14 days of your accident, you will not be eligible for PIP coverage.
Medical services, medication, surgical services, hospital expenses, rehab costs, diagnostic services, and ambulatory services are eligible for a PIP claim. PIP can even cover dental work related to the collision.
Part of a PIP claim is for a medical provider to determine if you have an emergency medical condition that would result in serious threat to the patient’s health. This will be something that your medical provider will help to determine and document.